Friday, August 3, 2012

A Salmon Fisherman is Born (at 65).

We camped for about 2 weeks at a campground near the Kenai River in Soldotna, Alaska.  We became good friends with a Christian couple in the campsite next to us.  They took us to a church in Soldotna and we enjoyed the service for 2 Sundays.  This was their first trip to Alaska, and Dan was there for salmon fishing.  I didn’t plan on fishing in Alaska, but after watching other fishermen I bought a 7 day fishing license and some gear.  When a neighbor, Ron saw my cheap rod he lent me a good salmon rod and reel.  The first day I fished about 6 hours and caught 2 rocks and 3 tiny sculpins.  The second day after about 2 hours when I tried to net a salmon for another fisherman I fell in the river.  Since the water temperature was 51 F that ended my fishing.  The third day I caught the daily limit of 6 red or sockeye salmon.  The fisherman after me at the cleaning table was the man whose rod I broke when I fell trying to net his salmon on day 2.  Since he didn’t want to wait all night for me to filet my fish he offered to help, which I appreciated.  I took a total of 16 salmon home for the week.  Salmon fishing on the Kenai River is called combat fishing.  Where there is public access the water is lined with fisherman, usually too close for comfort.  A bare hook is flipped into the river and a legal catch is when the hook snags a red salmon in the mouth.  Red salmon fight hard when hooked, jumping out of the water.  Other activities included a day trip to Homer Spit and we saw several bald eagles.  We also visited Anchor Point, the most western point on the North American highway system.  Before our visit to Soldotna we took a drive to Seward and Exit Glacier. 
Bob with Red Salmon Catch.

Moose near Soldotna Camp.

Bald Eagle near Homer. 

Russian Orthodox Church near Ninilchik with Iliamna Volcano.

Redoubt Volcano & Cook Inlet at sunset. 


No comments:

Post a Comment